Here's a recipe that's both kid-friendly and disgusting--Jell-o worms!
I just made these for a Halloween party and all the kids loved it. It's an easy recipe, too.
Just keep in mind that the "worms" need more time in the refrigerator than a normal Jello recipe.
Here's what you need:
- 2 boxes of Raspberry Jell-o (3 oz.)
- 2 packets of uncolored Knox Gelatin (Knox usually comes in a box with 4 packets)
- green food coloring
- 3/4 cup of whipped cream
- 3 cups of boiling water
- at least 100 flexible straws
- a tall, 1 quart container (like a milk container)
- Mix the Raspberry Jell-o and Knox gelatin into the boiling water and stir until everything is dissolved.
- Set it aside to cool until it's warm and steam is no longer coming up from the mixture.
- In the meantime, take your straws, flex them out, and put them in the 1 liter container with the flexible side down at the bottom of the container. You want them to be crowded together. The narrower the container, the longer your worms will be.
- Stir in about 1/2 cup of the whipping cream and about 10 drops of the green food coloring. See if the mixture looks enough like the color of a worm. Continue stirring in the whipping cream, food coloring, or both until you're happy with the color.
- Pour the Jell-o mixture into the container. The mixture should fill up to about halfway up the straws. Leave the container in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
Once firm, remove the straws out of the mixture, run warm water over them, and push the worms out.
And there you go! Worms you can have for a Halloween treat!
Macaroni Kid can make it super easy for you to find your family fun all year long. Receive a local calendar of family-friendly events each Thursday evening when you SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE!
You'll be glad you did ... and so will your kids!