Here's a recipe that's both kid-friendly and disgusting--Jell-o worms!
I just made these for a Halloween party and all the kids loved it. It's an easy recipe, too.
Just keep in mind that the "worms" need more time in the refrigerator than a normal Jello recipe.
Here's what you need:
- 2 boxes of Raspberry Jell-o (3 oz.)
- 2 packets of uncolored Knox Gelatin (Knox usually comes in a box with 4 packets)
- green food coloring
- 3/4 cup of whipped cream
- 3 cups of boiling water
- at least 100 flexible straws
- a tall, 1 quart container (like a milk container)
- Mix the Raspberry Jell-o and Knox gelatin into the boiling water and stir until everything is dissolved.
- Set it aside to cool until it's warm and steam is no longer coming up from the mixture.
- In the meantime, take your straws, flex them out, and put them in the 1 liter container with the flexible side down at the bottom of the container. You want them to be crowded together. The narrower the container, the longer your worms will be.
- Stir in about 1/2 cup of the whipping cream and about 10 drops of the green food coloring. See if the mixture looks enough like the color of a worm. Continue stirring in the whipping cream, food coloring, or both until you're happy with the color.
- Pour the Jell-o mixture into the container. The mixture should fill up to about halfway up the straws. Leave the container in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
Once firm, remove the straws out of the mixture, run warm water over them, and push the worms out.
And there you go! Worms you can have for a Halloween treat!
Macaroni Kid can make it super easy for you to find your family fun all year long. Receive a local calendar of family-friendly events each Thursday evening when you SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE!
You'll be glad you did ... and so will your kids!
For even more fun, find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram